I am currently interested in the origins of people's views of themselves and their ethnic groups, and the interconnections between the two. I am also interested in how people remember and resolve intergroup conflict. In recent years, these interests have led to research on the following topics: (1) how people's self-concepts influence their autobiographical memories and how autobiographical memories, in turn, affect people’s self-concepts; (2) biases in people’s memories and understanding of conflict and injustice; (3) group and cultural identity; (4) the nature and effectiveness of apologies and reparations for past wrongs; and (5) cognitive aging.
- Close Relationships
- Interpersonal Processes
- Self and Identity
- Social Cognition
Research Group or Laboratory:
- Ross, M., & Miller, D. T. (Eds.). (2002). The justice motive in everyday life. New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Buehler, R., Griffin, D., & Ross, M. (1994). Exploring the "planning fallacy": Why people underestimate their task completion times. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 67, 366-381.
- Karniol, R., & Ross, M. (1996). The motivational impact of temporal focus: Thinking about the future and the past. Annual Review of Psychology, 47, 593-620.
- Lam, K. C. H., Buehler, R., McFarland, C., Ross, M., & Cheung, I. (2005). Cultural differences in affective forecasting: The role of focalism. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 31, 1296-1309.
- MacDonald, T., & Ross, M. (1999). Assessing the accuracy of predictions about dating relationships: How and why do lovers' predictions differ from those made by observers? Personality and Social Psychological Bulletin, 25, 1417-1429.
- Ross, M. (1989). Relation of implicit theories to the construction of personal histories. Psychological Review, 96, 341-357.
- Ross, M., Heine, S. J., Wilson, A. E., & Sugimori, S. (2005). Cross-cultural discrepancies in self-appraisals. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 31, 1175-1188.
- Ross, M., Spencer, S. J., Linardatos, L., Lam, K. C. H., & Perunovic, M. (2004). Going shopping and identifying landmarks: Does collaboration improve older people’s memory? Applied Cognitive Psychology, 18, 683-696.
- Ross, M., & Wilson, A. E. (2003). Autobiographical memory and the self. Current Directions in Psychological Science, 12, 66-69.
- Ross, M., & Wilson, A. E. (2002). It feels like yesterday: Self-esteem, valence of personal past experiences, and judgments of subjective distance. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 82, 792-803.
- Ross, M., Xun, W. Q. E., & Wilson, A. E. (2002). Language and the bicultural self. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 28, 1040-1050.
- Wilson, A. E., & Ross, M. (2001). From chump to champ: People's appraisals of their earlier and present selves. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 80, 572-584.
- Vorauer, J., & Ross, M. (1996). The pursuit of knowledge within close relationships: An informational goals analysis. In G. Fletcher & J. Fitness (Eds.), Knowledge structures in close relationships: A social psychological approach. Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Psychology 101
Department of Psychology
University of Waterloo
200 University Avenue West
Waterloo, Ontario N2L 3G1
- Phone: (519) 888-4567, x33047
- Fax: (519) 746-8631